Flavor of Georgia 2013
The Flavor of Georgia food product contest is an annual celebration of all the flavors Georgia has to offer. Market-ready prototypes or commercially available food products from across the state are judged and critiqued by a panel of food experts.
The Flavor of Georgia contest casts the spotlight on delicious, original food from right here at home. Unusual foods (like a catfish burger), unique sauces (try blueberry salsa) and traditional southern foods (anything peach or pecan), get ready for the competition! Categories include barbecue and hot sauces, confections, dairy products, meat products, snack foods, jams, jellies and sauces. Entries are judged based on flavor, best use of Georgian ingredients, Georgia theme, unique or innovative qualities, commercial appeal and originality.
The 2013 Flavor of Georgia contest was held on March 11-12, 2013, at the Georgia Freight Depot in Atlanta during the Governor's annual ag awareness week.
Click here to see the 2013 Directory of Participants & Finalists.
Click here to see pictures from the 2013 Flavor of Georgia contest.
Congratulations to this year's winners!
- Dairy Category: Georgia Red by Flat Creek Farm & Dairy
- Snack Foods Category: Burke/Georgia Bar by Byne's Blueberry Farm
- Confections Category: Georgia Peach Tea Bonbons by Chocolate South
- Jams and Jellies Category: Spiced Blueberry Peach Jam by MiDi Blueberry Farm
- Sauces Category: My Sweet Hottie (Mild) Home-style Sweet & Sour Sauce by Chinese Southern Belle
- BBQ & Hot Sauces Category: Hotlanta Honey by Atlanta Bee Company
- Meat Products Category: Hunter Cattle Company Pork Sausage by Hunter Cattle Company
- Miscellaneous Category: Gayla's Grits by Gayla Shaw
- People's Choice: Georgia Buffalo N.Y. Strip Steak by Georgia Buffalo, Inc.
- Overall Grand Prize Winner: Georgia Peach Tea Bonbons by Chocolate South
- Applewood Smoked Gouda Cow Cheese by Udderly Cool Dairy, LLC
- Capra Gia's Marinated Feta by The Capra Gia Cheese Co.
- Georgia Red by Flat Creek Farm & Dairy
- Edibelles Southern Praline Snackin' Mix by Edibelles
- Burke Bar by Byne Blueberry Farms
- Abby J's Blackhawk 'Farm to Table' Bean & Jalapeno Salsa by Abby J's Gourmet
- Sea Salt Caramel Bars by Heidi's Heavenly Cookies, LLC
- Flavors of the South Chocolate-Covered Caramels by M Chocolat
- Georgia Peach Tea Bonbons by Chocolate South
- Swedish Chocolate Delights by Swedish Traditions
Jams and Jellies Category:
- Peach Habanero Jam by Webbington's
- Apple Ginger Preserves by Hillside Orchard Farms
- Spiced Blueberry Peach Jam by MiDi Blueberry Farm
- My Sweet Hottie (Mild) Homestyle Sweet & Sour Sauce by Chinese Southern Belle, LLC
- Braswell's All Natural Vidalia Onion Steak Sauce by Braswell Food Company
- Lazy Ray's Ketchup & Mustard by Lazy Ray's, LLC
BBQ & Hot Sauces Category:
- Roasted Garlic by Williamson Brothers
- Q Sauce Classic BBQ Sauce by Q Sauce, LLC
- Hotlanta Honey - Honey With a Sting! by Atlanta Bee Company
Meat & Seafood Category:
- Georgia Buffalo N.Y. Strip Steak by Georgia Buffalo, Inc.
- Hunter Cattle Company Pork Sausage by Hunter Cattle Company
- Sunset Farm Brand All Natural Bell Pepper and Onion Sausage by Sunset Farm Foods
- Gayla's Grits by Gayla's Grits
- Georgia Peach Tea by Just Add Honey Tea Company
- Collard Green Seasoning by King Louie Special Blend Seasoning
The Flavor of Georgia food product contest is sponsored by the University of Georgia College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences Center for Agribusiness and Economic Development in partnership with the Center of Innovation for Agribusiness, Office of Governor Nathan Deal, Walton EMC, the Georgia Department of Agriculture, the Georgia Agribusiness Council and the UGA Department of Food Science and Technology.